Tuesday, March 6, 2007

My take on Novotny

I really hope this deal will result in a win for the Caps down the road. Zubrus is a 29 yr old vet who had his highest point season come last year at 57 points. Althought many would have wanted the Caps to sign him to a long-term extension, who's to say he'll be anything like he is now? Novotny on the other hand was brought up in one of the best farm systems in the NHL. He is still several years younger than Zubrus, but I think when he reaches 29 (Zubrus' age) he'll be more of an impactful player. Think of it this way. Just imagine Ovechkin in 3 or 4 years to come. There is no doubt that he will be one of, if not the elite players in the NHL. Now add players like Backstrom, Semin, Fehr, Fleischmann, etc alongside Novotny. How can you not like the looks of that? His quality and size seems to fit right into the Capitals agenda. I see him as a very similar player to Zubrus down the road, if not better. I will have my chance to see Novotny play live tonight at the Air Canada Centre as the Leafs host the Caps.

No comments: